Monday, October 09, 2006

birth story

Okay, I know that a lot of people like to hear about labor and birth. So, I thought I would share...

As I have mentioned before, I had been having fairly consistant contractions for about 2 weeks. They were slowly working. At 38 weeks I was 1 cm, and 39 I was 2.5 and 50% effaced. 2 days before the due date I was still as I had been the prior week.

I was very nervous about the timing of birth. The day before the due date Jonathan was out of town 'moonlighting' at an E.R. in a different part of the state. I spent that evening and night cooking. I made two lasagnas and put them into hte freezer. I also made four pizza crusts, a few loaves of bread, some soup, and I peeled and froze apples. Everything was put into the freezer for anytime either after birth or while I was in the hospital.

On the morning of the due date (Friday Oct 6) I was feeling good, but having a few contractions. They weren't very strong and had enough time between them that I was feeling a little disappointed. I received a phone call from Jonathan at 9:00 that he had had a very quiet evening in the ER and that he was on his way home. It was after he called that the contractions became a little closer together and more consistant (20 minutes apart or so).

I was walking around with light contractions and was trying to decide what to do. So, at about 12:30 I decided to take Gavin for a walk in his stroller. We walked for about 30 minutes. When I came home I was still having contractions - although still slow. Jonathan got home at 1:00.

We each had some things to do, so I picked up the kids from school at 2:45 and took them to an appointment. While one was in the appointment (an hour) I was waiting and starting to notice that the contractions were about 6-7 minutes apart and increasingly uncomfortable. After an hour they came closer together. I called Jonathan and asked him to come and wait with E+Z while I go home.

We traded places. I decided to get the pizza going for dinner (I made dough earlier in the day). So I made 4 homemade pizzas while J was with E+Z. I noticed that the contractions were now about 3-4 minutes apart. I called the hospital because although I was having contractions, I wasn't sure if it was "real". I had always waited for "bloody show" before going in.

J, E, and Z came home and the pizzas were done. I sat down to eat and noticed that the contractions were stronger than I realized. After everyone was fed and I cleaned up the kitchen, I told J that we should get going. I called a friend to come over and sit with the other kids. I did not expect to really need to go.

J and I went to the hospital and I was admitted at 7:15 pm. They checked me and I was only at 4 cm and 50% effaced. Ugh! I was dissapointed. However, they kept me.

About 1 1/2 hours later I was checked again and I was now 4 cm and 100% effaced. The nurse was great. She did not leave my side the entire time. She helped me remember to relax through the contractions. Everytime that I started to fight the contraction she would remind me to relax my jaw to my toes. It was wonderful!

Just after 10pm I was checked and was 8 cm and 100% effaced. We were joking about the possibility of the baby being born at 10:06 on 10-06-06.
I had one contraction and suddenly I was 10 cm.
I pushed twice and Samuel was born.

Samuel was pretty beat up - due to his very fast birth (about an hour of hard labor and 2 pushes). His face was very bruised!

He is doing well - nurses often and easily. Sleeps well and no longer looks quite as bruised. I am still recovering. I have to remind myself to take it easy. I wanted to do some work around hte house today, but keep reminding myself that I gave birth 2.5 days ago. I need to give myself some time!

Gavin is adjusting to being a big brother. There are some territorial issues at times (he wants my lap more now than he had in the past few months). He loves to look at Samuel and plant kisses on his head. So, I think things will go well after a little time.

Well, I am going to try to nap since J is home and Samuel is sleeping.....


Chelee said...


What a great birth story, thanks for sharing.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

You are so laid-back in your birth story. It's great. Maybe you should consider becoming a doula who espouses sustainable living (in all your free time ;)).

I think people would love to hear, "it's okay not to buy all new stuff" or "all that stuff" or whatever, when they are expecting.

Carolyn said...

I think that giving birth is a great way to remind one's self that she is powerful, strong, and able to do great things. I felt enormously heroic after I had given birth. I hope you and all the other mothers out there feel the same!