Thursday, October 19, 2006

Real Beauty?





I think this is a good example of how much we are manipulated into believing what ads want us to believe. Isn't it sad that a very beautiful woman has to be made-up (with make-up) and then her features manipulated within the computer? if a model is not beautiful enough, then how can us "mere" mortals ever be beautiful? I think this really demonstrates how we can never be "enough." So many people believe that this final woman is the real woman that they are not happy with themselves as they are or with their partners.

Take a look at this video and then think about the other ads that you see and how they can be manipulated to seem larger (food/restaurant portions), more beautiful, or even more fulfilling.

Notice that these ads are all around us. Now think about how they affect your perception of beauty or "enoughness." Now look at what is around you. Look at the physical real things around you. This is what reality is. How can you attain something that is not attainable? The beauty of this model (after manipulated) is not real, is not attainable. That is not happiness.

5 comments:

Momaste said...

I saw this on one of the morning shows today. It's disturbing on so many levels - here is this naturally beautiful woman, a model!, who isn't pretty enough to meet the high standards of mainstream beauty. What hope do the rest of us have?

Unknown said...

I saw that a few days ago and forwarded the link to every woman/girl I know. Even my son and husband were surprised at the transformation.

Yippie for Dove.

Anonymous said...

I have read about this but never seen it so succinctly put as in that video. Wow. I'm definitely sending my friends to your site to watch that.

Anonymous said...

I want you to know that I went to Target while waiting for Dan to get through customs so I could pick him up at the airport, and I impulsively picked up two pairs of pants for him. But I thought about you and how impressed I am by your efforts, and I thought about whether he really needed them (no), and I put them back.

Emme said...

Sally, woo woo! Good for you! I am glad that I could be a good influence ;)


I also showed my almost 13 year old hte video. She was shocked. I hope that it can show her that the beauty she sees in magazines/tv is not real....