Wednesday, May 31, 2006

quiet

I couldn't believe it. Last night I made spaghetti with whole wheat pasta. I was certain that the kids response would be "ewwwww". I especially expected this response from Zach who dislikes any pasta dish. Well, they all went for second or thirds!

Today I was again impressed with the flavors of foods that were purchased locally. I can't believe what I have been missing all of these years. Gavin and I went for a long walk this afternoon along a local creek (near our home). I enjoyed the quiet of the wind through the grasses, the birds chirping, and the ripples in the water. Gavin was watching everything with wide eyes. It made me think about ipods. At one time I thought about getting one - especially for those times that I am training for long runs. An ipod would drown out all of the wonderful quiet sounds. I find that when I am in this quiet I am able to hear my own thoughts and think about what is important to me. A simple walk can be much more fulfilling than drowning out the sounds with music. An ipod - once again something that is not needed. If I had had one I would have missed out on so much.

One day a neighbor told me that in Europe people bike or walk to stores daily. Think about it, fresh foods and healthy exercise.

No comments: