Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Jam!


Today Maddie and I made jam. Raspberry and white peach. I found both on sale. Everything that was not used was frozen to use this winter. A friend has a vacuum sealer, so I think that I may use that in the future.

I think it would be really interesting to make meals that are entirely homemade. The other day I made a great dinner of homemade pasta (yes, flour, eggs, the whole works). Homemade bread (with wheat I gound myself). It was really interesting to do that! I wonder how many other meals I could make where everything is homemade. I could not give up olive oil, balsemic vinegar, and other ingredients. It is, however, so easy to make things like hummus.

A friend asked me how to become vegetarian. I don't think it is difficult. Sometimes you need to think of different foods to eat, but overall, many meals that you already eat could easily become vegetarian ; stir fry with tofu or beans, pasta with red sauce (add artichoke hearts, olives, roasted red peppers). I was a vegetarian for about 18 years and then on and off again for many years after that. Almost all of my meals are now vegetarian, but meat added for the rest of the family.

One of my new goals is not only to eat organic, locally grown foods, but to eat seasonally. What does this mean? Peas in the spring (and then I freeze or soup and can those that are left over). Hmmm.

No comments: